- About SC-AZ
- Forum & Expo
- How to Get Started
- Why is Sustainability Important?
- What Can I Do Today?
- Down 2 Earth Gardens
- Shady Characteristics
- Save Energy
- Save Energy, Save Money, Save with SRP
- Natural Pest Control
- Planting Guidelines: Container Trees & Shrubs, Vegetable Planting Calendar for Maricopa County
- Green Home Checklist: Features Now Recognized in Home’s Listing
- Grow Money In Your Garden & Raised Garden Q&A
- Hot Roofs
- Energy Vampires
- SC-AZ Calendar
- SC-AZ Services
- Consumer Services
Once you’ve diverted your money from going to the utility companies and keeping it in your pocket, you create options and opportunities in directing where that money is to be spent. When it is spent locally, you help your local economy, you create a demand for more products or services, which creates jobs from production, to transportation, to the retail market.
Another important benefit to saving money by reducing your utility costs, is that you are also creating a healthier environment for you and your family & friends. If we use less power, it lowers power demand from the utility company, which in turn reduces the amount of pollution going into the air.
Here is a no-cost list to start saving money now.
1. Turn off the lights when you’re not in the room.
2. Keep the exterior doors closed. The longer they stay open, the more energy required to heat or cool.
3. Take advantage of natural lighting instead of using lights when it’s possible.
4. Lower the temperature of your water heater to 115° F.
5. Take faster showers, thereby saving energy and water to create more hot water.
6. Shut the water off to lather up in the shower.
7. Use cold wash when appropriate and do full loads of laundry, cutting down on the number of loads.
8. Hang clothes to dry.
9. Place a plastic bottle full of sand, capped, in old style toilets that use 3 to 6 gallons of water per flush. Save water each time you flush.
10. Use a power strip to plug your electronics into, then turn off the power strip when not in use to eliminate “energy monsters”.
11. Raise the temperature setting on air conditioning in the summer and use a fan for comfort.
12. Lower the temperature setting on heating in the winter and wear a sweater for comfort.
13. Block drafts at windows and doors to keep conditioned air inside.
14. Turn computers and monitors off when not in use.
15. Walk instead of drive when appropriate to do so.
16. Reuse what you can such as containers before tossing in the trash or recycle bin.
17. Use natural cleaners such as white vinegar or baking soda where appropriate.
Please peruse through the different post on this blog site to find out other ways you can save money.